Blog #1

From what you’ve seen of the course so far, and in the course outline, which of the assessment strategies in your reading this week are being used in this course?

While looking through the course outline and the first two weeks of class  I have observed several assessment strategies in this week’s readings that will be used. First off there are formative assessments being conducted all throughout this course. In formative assessments the learner receives feedback and has the opportunity to incorporate that feedback into future attempts of their work (Conrad & Openo, 2018). With each blog post we receive and provide peer reviews to learners, these peer reviews are formative because they provide the learner with feedback that can be applied to their next blog posts. Peer feedback allows students to help their peers understand what needs to be changed and in turn helps solidify their own knowledge in the subject (Hattie & Timperley, 2007). This helps to close the gap between what is known and desired knowledge. Peer feedback has been shown to be effective, this was demonstrated in the Austin’s Butterfly video. The students provided feedback to Austin about his butterfly and how he could improve and overtime he incorporated the feedback and his drawing improved.  Summative assessments are also used in this course in the final group assignment. Summative assessments are a final assessment; they don’t give opportunity to incorporate feedback but are instead the end of a learning experience (Conard & Openo, 2018). This course also incorporates Authentic assessment. Authentic assessment is collaborative with shared understanding of tasks and perspectives ( Conard & Openo, 2018).  Authentic assesement stimulates our pod groups in which we will work alongside other students to develop an interactive learning environment. This project demonstrates authentic assessment not only because it is collaborative but because it provides highly transferable knowledge that can be used in future workplace environments. Additionally our peer feedback and assessments being online allows for students to respond and meet on their own times. I think online group projects and assessments being online is advantageous because it is flexible allowing learners to work on their own time. 

Which are not being used?

In this course I have noticed a lack of grading rubrics for the blog posts. Grading rubrics ideally tell students why an assignment is being conducted and how one can succeed at the assignment. I am a type A learner so the lack of word count and specific criteria for the blog posts has caught me a bit off guard. However, I am extremely open to the idea of these blog posts being more abstract and open ended than set to a rigorous word count which I am quite used to. There are summative assessments being done in the group assignments however there is a lack of traditional summative assessment which includes tests, quizzes, and exams (Conard & Openo, 2018). There also seems to be a lack of service learning in this class where students engage in real service outside of the classroom ( Conard & Openo, 2018).

Photo by Surface on Unsplash

What Learning Theories (from week 1) do these connect to?

Formative assessment used in this course connects to constructivism. In constructivist learning theories involve practical application, presentation of multiple perspectives, and collaborative learning (Ertmer & Newby, 2013). We are using peer feedback in this course, this allows for students to share multiple perspectives, co-guide each other, and apply them to their future work demonstrating formative and constructivist learning theories. Emphasis on Peer reviews also ties to Cognitivism, In cognitivism learning theories students focus on scaffolding, concept mapping, and creating mental schemas in their head ( Ertmer & Newby, 2013).By providing peer feedback in formative assessment students are able to scaffold the gap between what they understand know and what they need to understand to succeed. Students are also able to use problem solving techniques in group projects, and create hierarchical matrices to relate feedback to future blog posts, which are demonstrations of Cognitivism in learning. Peer feedback in blog posts can also demonstrate behaviorist theories of learning. In behaviorism teachers and learners work with reinforcement and feedback to develop habits for learners to perform to the best of their ability (Ertmer & Newby 2013). I’d argue that the feedback in blog posts demonstrates behaviorism because we will become conditioned to receiving feedback and applying to each future blog. I also think that constructivism is evident in our Interactive learning assignment because we are constructing our own meanings and instructions on how to complete work based on individual experience. 

How does it compare to other courses you’ve taken in your studies?

Unlike EDCI-335, most classes I have taken as psychology major focus on summative assessment, which aligns most with behaviorist theories of learning. Behaviourist learning strongly aligns with observable behavior and students being a passive recipient of knowledge (Ertmer & Newby, 2013). In my psychology classes we are usually heavily tested with multiple midterms, examinations, and final papers. These are forms of summative assessment because they are a final evaluation; they don’t provide students with an opportunity to incorporate feedback but instead are provided a final grade. A lot of the classes I regularly take use  behaviorist learning theories where we are assessed by measurable learning outcomes. We are often provided a grade with little to no feedback and ordinal data that doesn’t tell us where we succeeded and where we can improve. Edci-335 is different from my regular classes because it focuses on formative assessment through peer evaluations, and constructivist theories of learning through collaborative projects and social interaction. 

Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

https://vimeo.com/38247060 – Austin Butterfly Video 

Conrad, D., & Openo, J. (2018a). Assessment strategies for online learning: engagement and authenticity. In Assessment strategies for online learning (1st ed.). Athabasca University Press.

Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. J. (2013). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective. Performance Improvement Quarterly, 26(2), 43-71

Hattie, J., & Timperley, H. (2007). The power of feedback. Review of Educational Research, 77, 81–112. https://doi.org/10.3102/003465430298487

Previous

Learning Pod Self Reflection

Next

Links to my comments Blog #1

1. jaswant

Hello,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog, it provides a clear and insightful analysis of the assessment strategies in our course. I appreciate how you connected formative assessment to constructivism and cognitivism, emphasizing the importance of peer feedback in our learning process. I also did very similar to my blog.
    Further, the comparison to your psychology classes highlights the difference between formative and summative assessments really clearly. I also agree that the lack of grading rubrics and traditional summative assessments in our course can be difficult for some students. Overall , this is a great blog and covers everything . good work!

2. longtubai

Hi Ata,
    Thank you for this thought-provoking post! I actually did not realize that we don’t have a grading rubrics for blog posts. I guess it is also part of the formative assessment? I think Dr. Mitchell is more interested to see our personal reflections on selected topics and respect each individual’s contributions. Therefore, it might be not quite necessary to set up a grading rubric. Also, I think the course highlights on the cooperative learning approach. We are encouraged to learn through reflecting and commenting on team members’ weekly blogs. I personally found it a really effective way of learning. Also, I noticed we don’t have self-grading in this course. In a previous course taught by Dr. Mitchell, we are provided with an opportunity to evaluate and grade our own final project based on UVic grading rubric. It was a cool experience.